– Sample Page –
The Goldfinch Concerto
– Sample Page-
- Provide short examples of various solo instruments. Ask students to put a thumb up for the flute and thumb down when other instruments are played.
- Ask the students to identify what instruments would be heard in a Baroque orchestra.
- Play 15-30 seconds of instrumental compositions from various time periods. Have the students identify the ones from the Baroque time period and explain why they made those choices.
- Students will fold a sheet of paper in half, and then in half again. Open the paper up and find 4 spaces. Students will number each space. In each space they will write one sentence about the development of the flute. Encourage them to illustrate the sentences.
- Imitation of nature sounds in music- Students will write brief answers to the following:
- How did Vivaldi and the flute soloist imitate bird sounds?
- What other ways can composers or musicians imitate nature?
- Do a little research; can you find any other pieces where composers and musicians imitate sounds of nature? Describe them.