Each year, WMEA sponsors school music group concerts in the State Capitol Rotunda during March. The concerts kick off as a celebration of NAfME’s Music In Our Schools Month and offer groups an opportunity to perform in this beautiful Wisconsin landmark. WMEA members may apply to have their school music groups perform in Capitol Concerts. The deadline for applications is December 1 of the year preceding the concerts.
Application Period: October 1 – December 1
Groups are selected based on the following criteria:
- Considered together, the groups invited will represent all grade levels – elementary, middle, high and collegiate.
- Considered together, the groups invited will portray a wide variety of types of performing organizations.
- Considered together, groups from all areas of the state will be represented.
- In order for as many students to have the opportunity to participate as possible, groups who have not performed at the Capitol in the past will be considered first.
- Applicant must be a WMEA member.
- All performance requests must go through WMEA Chairperson, Kathy Bartling (Email).
2020 WMEA Capitol Concerts Schedule
March 3 – Tuesday – Trevor Middle School Band/Chorus – Bryan Chung & Madeline Weirick
March 4 – Wednesday – Jefferson Middle School orchestra – Madison – Carol Jenkins
March 5 – Thursday – Whitnall Middle School 7th grade band – Greenfield – Kati Seiter
March 12 – Thursday – Prairie View Elementary Chorus – Beaver Dam – Teresa Ploch
March 13 – Friday – Swanson Elementary (5th grade) Band – Brookfield – Phil Rothschadl
March 17 – Tuesday – Ripon College Chamber Singers – John Hughes
March 19 – Thursday – Blue Notes Vocal Jazz/Show Choir – Meghann Proper
J.C. McKenna Middle School – Evansville
March 20 – Friday – Tri-County High School Band – Matt Miles – Plainfield
March 31 – Tuesday – Shawano Community Middle School Band – Chad Bromeisl – Shawano