Meaningful Guidelines to Inspire Great Music Education
Welcome to the WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards webpage. In addition to the News and Updates (below), be sure to explore the left-side menu, which contains links to the Standards Maps, Resources and Teaching Materials (e.g., teaching plans, curriculum samples, posters/wall displays, and links), a Getting Started page (with video tutorials and other introductory materials), connections to CMP, and more.
We hope you and your students enjoy exploring these rich, holistic, and student-centered standards, which align closely with NAfME’s 2014 National Music Standards.
WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards Committee
Beatriz Aguilar, Paul Budde, Laura Burns, Ian Melrose, Kate Mitchell, Angela Roberts, Aimee Swanson (chair), Richard Tengowski, Brian Vanderbloemen and Natasha Verhulst
We are excited to share member submissions on our site. Please check out these newly-added ideas:
- Maggie Condon – Unwrapping the Music Standards: Sharing Standards with Students
- Introducing the Standards (movie)
- Student ePortfolio (Google Doc)
- Students Reflections on Artifacts (Google Doc)
- Eric Ash – Online Learning: Connecting to Music
Be sure to check out additional submissions on our Teaching Plans and Curriculum Samples page.
School Year 2022-2023 Virtual Workshops
The WMEA Evening with the Standards workshops have been canceled for this school year. Instead, we look forward to a WMEA Standards summer workshop and several sessions at the 2023 Wisconsin State Music Conference this October.
In the meantime, recordings of previous WMEA Standards workshops are available. Contact Darin Menk (email@example.com) for more information. Additionally, feel free to reach out to any of the WMEA Standards committee members for input or assistance or to Darin to connect you with a committee member.
2021-2022 Evening with the Standards Workshop Recordings
Workshop recordings and resources are still available from the Evening with the Standards workshops (Fall 2021 and Winter 2022). For registration costs and further information, please contact Darin Menk at 608-850-3566.
Standards Maps – Updates
As of January 2019, the WMEA Music Standards maps have been updated, including:
- Technology Strand – minor revisions to existing standards, plus new standards added *
- Ensemble Strand – minor revisions to existing standards *
* Please note that “WI” has been added to the numeric identifier of any standard that has been altered from the 2014 National Music Standards.