Meaningful Guidelines to Inspire Great Music Education
Welcome to the WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards webpage. In addition to the News and Updates (below), be sure to explore the left-side menu, which contains links to the Standards Maps, Resources and Teaching Materials (e.g., teaching plans, curriculum samples, posters/wall displays, and links), a Getting Started page (with video tutorials and other introductory materials), connections to CMP, and more.
We hope you and your students enjoy exploring these rich, holistic, and student-centered standards, which align closely with NAfME’s 2014 National Music Standards.
WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards Committee
Leyla Sanyer (Chair), Paul Budde, Christine Hayes, Kate Mitchell, Aimee Swanson, and Richard Tengowski
We are excited to share member submissions on our site. Please check out these newly-added ideas:
- Maggie Condon – Unwrapping the Music Standards: Sharing Standards with Students
- Eric Ash – Online Learning: Connecting to Music
Be sure to check out additional submissions on our Teaching Plans and Curriculum Samples page.
News and Updates
Please check back for news and updates on the WMEA Music Standards.
We will look at various starting points in the Standards and then:
- take an artistic process and work in to the performance standards that best fit the intent
- take a performance standard and frame a unit or lesson combined with artistic processes and enduring understandings.
- examine how technology can be used in virtual and in-person settings to strengthen the standards based curriculum.
- discuss the importance of the Connect Artistic process in these times.
- Member – $40
- Non-Member – $50
- Undergraduate Music Degree Student – $40
- Note: Registration must be received three days prior to workshop.
Standards Maps – Updates
As of January 2019, the WMEA Music Standards maps have been updated, including:
- Technology Strand – minor revisions to existing standards, plus new standards added *
- Ensemble Strand – minor revisions to existing standards *
* Please note that “WI” has been added to the numeric identifier of any standard that has been altered from the 2014 National Music Standards.