Meaningful Guidelines to Inspire Great Music Education
Welcome to the WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards webpage. In addition to the News and Updates (below), be sure to explore the left-side menu, which contains links to the Standards Maps, Resources and Teaching Materials (e.g., teaching plans, curriculum samples, posters/wall displays, and links), a Getting Started page (with video tutorials and other introductory materials), connections to CMP, and more.
We hope you and your students enjoy exploring these rich, holistic, and student-centered standards, which align closely with NAfME’s 2014 National Music Standards.
WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards Committee
Leyla Sanyer (Chair), Paul Budde, Christine Hayes, Kate Mitchell, Aimee Swanson, and Richard Tengowski
News and Updates
Please check back for news and updates on the WMEA Music Standards.
- October 25, 2019 (1 PM) – Wisconsin State Music Conference – Fitting the WMEA Standards into Your District Goals
- This session will follow up on how standards work in music can fit into the goals of your district. We will reintroduce the WMEA materials and design and cover unpacking the standards, assessment alignment, and technology standards.
- January 24-25, 2020 – Standards Workshop
- This two-day workshop will be held at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education in Waunakee, WI. Individuals and music teams are invited to join us, as attendees will learn about the standards AND have work time to implement new projects.
- Summer 2020 – Standards Workshop
- This three-day workshop will be held at a location TDB in Wisconsin (away from the Wisconsin Center for Music Education). Please check back for additional details!
Standards Maps – Updates
As of January 2019, the WMEA Music Standards maps have been updated, including:
- Technology Strand – minor revisions to existing standards, plus new standards added *
- Ensemble Strand – minor revisions to existing standards *
* Please note that “WI” has been added to the numeric identifier of any standard that has been altered from the 2014 National Music Standards.