Meaningful Guidelines to Inspire Great Music Education
Welcome to the WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards webpage. In addition to the News and Updates (below), be sure to explore the left-side menu, which contains links to the Standards Maps, Resources and Teaching Materials (e.g., teaching plans, curriculum samples, posters/wall displays, and links), a Getting Started page (with video tutorials and other introductory materials), connections to CMP, and more.
We hope you and your students enjoy exploring these rich, holistic, and student-centered standards, which align closely with NAfME’s 2014 National Music Standards.
WMEA Wisconsin Music Standards Committee
Beatriz Aguilar, Paul Budde, Laura Burns, Ian Melrose, Kate Mitchell, Angela Roberts, Aimee Swanson (chair), Richard Tengowski, Brian Vanderbloemen and Natasha Verhulst
We are excited to share member submissions on our site. Please check out these newly-added ideas:
- Maggie Condon – Unwrapping the Music Standards: Sharing Standards with Students
- Eric Ash – Online Learning: Connecting to Music
Be sure to check out additional submissions on our Teaching Plans and Curriculum Samples page.
School Year 2022-2023 Virtual Workshops
Join the standards committee members as they take a hands on and practical journey through the standards. Rediscover the joy in teaching and be inspired by how far you and students can travel grounded in Create, Perform, Respond, and Connect. Committee members will take you into their classrooms to see standards based lessons in action. Revisit some of your favorite lessons with a standard’s lens.
- January 5, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Discovering Others Through Responding
- February 1, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Building Awareness Through Connecting
- April 19, 6:30 – 8:00 p.m. Engaging Through Performing
Pricing:WMEA, NAfME or WSMA Member School Educator – $25, $40 or $55 depending on number of workshops attendedNon-Member – $40, $60 or $75 depending on number of workshops attendedUndergraduate Bachelors of Music Degree Students – $10, $15 or $18 depending on number of workshops attended
- Register and share workshop information with fellow educators
- Pre-registration is required 5 days before workshop.
2021-2022 Evening with the Standards Workshop Recordings
Workshop recordings and resources are still available from the Evening with the Standards workshops (Fall 2021 and Winter 2022). For registration costs and further information, please contact Darin Menk at 608-850-3566.
Standards Maps – Updates
As of January 2019, the WMEA Music Standards maps have been updated, including:
- Technology Strand – minor revisions to existing standards, plus new standards added *
- Ensemble Strand – minor revisions to existing standards *
* Please note that “WI” has been added to the numeric identifier of any standard that has been altered from the 2014 National Music Standards.