One registration to join two organizations!
Top 10 Reasons to Join WMEA
- NAfME Affiliation – Joining WMEA provides for membership in the National Association for Music Educators (formerly MENC). Membership programs are available for all music educators, including collegiate, retired and spousal memberships.
- Professional Development – Workshops and seminars for music educators are available at the annual Wisconsin State Music Conference and throughout the year at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education and the annual national Music Education Week held in Washington, DC. Opportunities are offered at a reduced rate to for all members.
- Networking – Make connections at conference planning meetings, attendance at state and national conferences and through the online membership directory. Keep in touch with NAfME members by following NAfME on Twitter, Facebook and through LinkedIn group.
- Advocacy – Access to materials and sharing in a statewide government relations network though Wisconsin Advocates for Music Education (WAME) and SupportMusic.com, the online tool for music educators that provides issue-specific facts to help save, start or improve school music programs across our nation including NAfME “Make Your Case” database.
- Involvement – Members serve as executive board members, sub-committee chairs, district vice-presidents or as coaches for honors ensembles at the middle or high school level as well as on regional and national NAfME boards.
- Publications – Subscriptions to Wisconsin School Musician, Music Educators Journal, Teaching Music and online newsletters from district vice presidents, Soundwaves and access to additional national journals available online including; General Music Today, Journal of Teacher Music Education, In Tune, Teach and Travel, and UPDATE: Applications of Research in Music Education.
- Program Opportunities – Educator and student benefits include participation in iListenWI, Capitol Concerts, Comprehensive Musicianship Through Performance (CMP), Tri-M Music Honor Society, Music In Our Schools Month (MIOSM) Activities, The National Anthem Project, Teaching Guitar Workshops, US Army All-American Marching Band, NSBA Music Composition Talent Search as well as free “members only” resources online through “My Music Class.”
- Research – Resources for all members through the NAfME web site, including information for Special Research Interest Groups (SRIGs). Select from; Adult and Community Education, Affective Response Assessment, Creativity, Early Childhood, Gender Research in Music Education, History, Instructional Strategies, Learning and Development, Music Teacher Education, Perception and Cognition, Philosophy, Social Sciences or all SRIG’S.
- Awards and Recognition – Eligibility for WMEA and NAfME distinguished service awards, BMI/John Lennon Songwriting Scholarships and participation in state and national programs.
- Collaboration – Connections with state professional music organizations; Wisconsin School Music Association, Wisconsin Foundation for School Music housed with the offices of WMEA at the Wisconsin Center for Music Education. Visit www.wmeamusic.org for more information.
HELP US to make WMEA a lasting and strong advocate for our students and their families around the state of Wisconsin. Contact WMEA at 800-589-9762 with any questions!