Wisconsin Music Educators Association consists of music educators, school administrators and other people interested in seeing all youth in Wisconsin receive a well-rounded education that includes a comprehensive music program taught by certified music teachers.
WMEA is affiliated with National Association for Music Education (NAfME).
WMEA Membership Services
- Complimentary subscription to Wisconsin School Musician.
- A tangible way to support the music education profession.
- Access to opportunities such as continuing education.
- Reduced registration fees at state, regional and national conferences.
- Advocacy efforts for music education including the Wisconsin Advocates for Music Education.
- Special communications regarding inservice opportunities, resources, trends and national developments in music education.
- The right to vote and hold office.
- Position statements on important issues.
- Public relations services.
- Representation on division and national NAfME boards.
- Representation on other state professional organizations (such as the Alliance for Arts Education and Wisconsin School Music Association.)
Major WMEA Activities
- Wisconsin State Music Conference – The conference brings together teachers, students and the general public to educate and promote music.
- Wisconsin Advocates For Music Education – A statewide coalition of music educators, music merchants and manufacturers, parents, and other concerned citizens working together to promote music education.
- Position Statements – WMEA publishes position statements on:
- No Child Left Behind Act
- Joint Statement of Principles for Arts Education
- Religious Music in Schools
- Middle Level Music
- Secondary General Music
- Resources on school music and pedagogy.
- Continuing Education Leadership – Continuing education and professional development opportunities for music teachers including the Comprehensive Musicianship through Performance Project (CMP).
- Student Activities – Capitol Concerts
- Officers and members serve as state and national resources for music education.